Monday 3 February 2014

Up cycling Jeans into a reversible bag



I have several pairs of worn out jeans but could not bring myself to throw any of them away. I found a free pattern for a simple reversible bag and thought it would be a great pattern to use this fabric. I cut each of the panels from the leg part (jeans were a size 16 boot leg), and found some other purple fabric remnant that I had picked up in a charity shop a few weeks ago to cut two of the same. I made use of the pockets from the jeans as inside pockets for the bag and also used extra denim and purple fabric to create swallows using the heat and bond method of appliqué. I used satin stitch to attach the appliqué, the thread I used was a gorgeous wonderfil metallic thread which I picked up at Ally Pally last October. To give the purple fabric extra stability I used iron on vilene, but the denim exterior was already pretty sturdy. I am actually really pleased with the result and it am thinking of making another one with perhaps different appliqué. Maybe smaller birds, not sure yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment