Friday 26 July 2013

Pencil case for Grace

Grace is my niece and as she is going to start junior school next September so I decided to make her a personalised pencil case. I started with a rectangle of linen/viscose furniture material which I overlooked before doing anything else as it frayed really badly. I cut two rectangles of calico the same size as the linen. I used one of the calico rectangles to stabilise the linen while I added rows of elephants and Grace's full name, using my new pfaff sewing machine. I folded the rectangle right sides together and joined a zip along the shorter edges on both sides. Then with right sides together I joined the side seams and turned the case the right way out. To create a lining the remaining rectangle of calico was folded in the same orientation and sewn along the edges (quarter inch more on each side than the linen section), then I folded over a half inch of material on the open edge and sewed in place by hand. Unfortunately the yellow in the multicoloured thread does not show up very well in the photo. I hope Grace likes it!


No comments:

Post a Comment